This is where we will keep the topics and output from our twice a month (or so) climate conversations where we discuss whatever is on your mind as it related to implementing solutions at all levels of action for the Climate Crisis.
July 26, 2020 – The Movement Voter Project and Food Waste (Watch Here)
Our discussion focused primarily on two topics: the Movement Voter Project (Rob Beem presenting) and Food Waste (Maddie Price presenting). Jim Little also did an introduction to set up why voting is so critical for the climate crisis this year. Thank you Jim, Maddie, and Rob for your time and effort in leading these discussions!
- The Movement Voter Project is working to mobilize millions of dollars to support these movements and their work. Winning on climate and environmental justice is critical not only for 2020 but beyond. MVP will support work at these intersections in 5-15 key states, with the final number dependent on the level of resources we are able to raise to direct to our local partner groups.
- Reducing Food Waste. Maddie has been doing research and work with various organizations focused on one the leading solutions to the climate crisis. She is interested in introducing these ideas to the group, since it seems like COVID hunger relief is increasingly colliding with the challenge of food waste–particularly as our local growing season ramps up while there continues to be a large influx of perishable food into the hunger relief system (from USDA), now sometimes more than food banks have capacity to accept. She would like to connect folks with my contact working on expanding Little Free Pantries around Seattle, and should would like to connect with anyone else would also be interested in looking into possibilities for community fridges in the city too.
- Resources and Key Action Items:
- Online Zoom recording of the presentations and discussions
- The Movement Voter Project:
- Reducing Food Waste:
- OneNote with links and detailed notes can be found here.
- Files for download (including audio and video of the presentations and discussions)